Pet stains, this kind of as canine urine, in wool carpet and rug are a overwhelming activity, and the more mature they are, the much more hard the position. Nonetheless, you do not need to have expensive chemical cleaners.
You possibly have what you have to have in the household by now. Most factors that really get the job done on these stains with no damaging the cloth or fibers are plain residence chemical substances for cleansing, cooking or residence drugs.
So, if you’re fascinated in discovering about how to take out previous pet urine stains from wool carpet and space rugs, in this article are some most helpful and most secure methods to attempt appropriate now.
In addition to that, you will also get to know about our encouraged wool carpet cleaners those are actually powerful for eliminating new and aged pet stains on your spot rugs and wool carpet.
Also Go through:
How to Clean up Pet Urine From Vinyl Plank Flooring?
How To Remove old Doggy urine stains from wool carpet And Space Rugs?
System 1: Take out outdated pet dog urine from Spot rugs and carpet With cleansing items (Without Vinegar)
>>> Tools and cleaners you are going to want to get began: <<<
1. Either a carpet cleaner machine or a small shampoo machine:
- A rental rug cleaner: Be sure it does not use steam or a beater as these will damage a wool rug. The Rug Doctor is the best I have found. But they are big and expensive. You can rent or buy one.
- A small rug shampoo machine: I bought a Little Green Machine, which is very small and useful for many other jobs. It does a good job.
- A Wet Vac Machine: You can also use a wet vac for removing pet stains from your wool carpet. It deep cleans your carpet by flushing cleaning solution into the carpet and vacuum out the dirty water.
2. Commercial or homemade cleaner
- Commercial cleaner: Check that the ingredients will not shrink or otherwise harm wool. See my recommended cleaner here that I know and trust.
- Homemade cleaner: Find the Homemade cleaner recipes here.
Steps to follow: ( Using a machine and commercial carpet stain remover )
Step 1: Put a pad or old sheets or some other absorbent padding under your rug to absorb the moisture and the stains. Your actions will push the stains into the pad shielding your floor.
Step 2: Test whatever cleaning solution you have selected on a small portion of the carpet that will not be visible. Perhaps a corner that will be under furniture or against the wall. Use the solution as directed on the packages and watch carefully.
Commercial rug cleaner machine have separate tank for cleaning solution and dirt water (for used solution).
If you see bright colors in the used water tank, stop and rinse the spot, as that is your carpet dyes. Then spray with white vinegar to stop the chemical action.
Vinegar is both chemically active and also a neutralizer, similar to the old stop wash that came with permanent wave lotion.
If all the cleaners you try strip the color, then you need to hire a professional company. Try contacting the company that made your machine for their recommendations for professional cleaning.
However, if the color looks like the rest of the rug, you can use the cleaner you tested. Follow step 3.
Step 3: Apply your cleaners as directed using the machine you selected. You can also use your own homemade cleaners in these machines.
Step 4: After a few minutes of cleaning the affected area, stop and blot it dry. You can blow dry the spot using a blow dryer on low with no heat or an electric fan. Never dry your rug in sunlight. Just use fans blowing across it to dry it.
Step 5: Check the underside to see if it is dry after 1-8 hours. If you got your rug wetter than that you got it too wet.
Some people suggest you use newspaper to blot the liquid. Do not do this unless you have blank newsprint such as is used with moving and packing companies. The ink in newspaper smears and add different chemicals to your carpet as you blot.
Method 2: Homemade Solution For Removing Old Dog Urine Stains And Odor From Wool Carpet
Tools and cleaners you need to get started:
- Dry white rags or old towels
- A bucket for your cleaner
- An electric fan or hair dryer with a no heat setting to speed drying
- Old towels, sheets or a pad to put under the rug to absorb the stains and keep the floor dry
Cleaners: Use the basic recipe here. Add more of these if needed.
- Baking soda (bicarbonate of Soda)
- Mild dish soap or a good shampoo for dyed or bleached hair
- Plastic place mat to put under the rug while cleaning
- Water, sparkling water or club soda
- Soft brush, toothbrush or barbers brush or small stiff paintbrush
- For really bad stains use a commercial booster with no chlorine or other chemicals listed below, very diluted, about half what the directions say or less. Do a test for this in a less visible area.
Vacuum the wool carpet first to prevent making mud with the dirt in the carpet. If there is lots of dust in the carpet sprinkle with corn starch on the dry carpet and gently beat it in. Leave for an hour and vacuum.
Step 2: Put the place mat under the rug where you need to clean to help it not get too wet. If the rug gets very wet you will have to blot it as dry as possible.
Step 3: Line up your chosen hand tools you need from the list.
Step 4: Examine the urine stain. How dark is it” How old is it. If it is very dark or very old, start using a dry shampoo( corn starch). Dust the carpet stain thoroughly with corn starch. Use a soft brush, wooden spoon or rubber mallet to lightly rub it into the fibers. Leave for 1/2 hour and then vacuum the spot. Inspect to see if the spot is lighter.
Step 5: If the spot is small try one tablespoon of medical strength hydrogen peroxide with one cup lukewarm water. Brush on the spot well with a soft brush. Let stand 10 minutes then blot clean with a clean damp cloth. Next, mix the white vinegar solution listed below. Then dab into the carpet with your natural sponge. When the carpet begins to get damp blot dry with a rag or towel.
Note: Vinegar and baking soda solution is very effective for cleaning dog urine from regular carpet. Just, make sure you apply this carefully on your carpet to avoid any unexpected situation.
Homemade Cleaning Solution For Cleaning Pet Urine Stains On Area Rugs:
- A few tablespoons of mild dish soap or shampoo for tinted hair (Does not strip color).
Simply dab the solution on with white rags or towels then with a clean, dry towel, dab, and rub the wet area until the carpet dries.
Other Home made solution you can try:
Chamomile, Press chamomile teabags all over the stain. You can also open the teabags and spread a layer and then spray warm water on it until the tea is wet, then press into the carpet. Do not use organic or other fancy tea as they contain pesticides or other chemicals. Cheap chamomile tea is best.
Sprinkle baking soda all over the stain. Then spray with white vinegar. It will foam. Sponge this into the fibers and wait 10-20 minutes and rinse. If the stain is still there, dry with fans an hour and try again. Finally rinse by dabbing with dampened cloth using plain warm water, and dry.
Lemon with white vinegar:
For stains on white sections try using cut lemon dabbing the stains, followed with white vinegar and then rinse and dry.
You can also watch the following video for a bonus tips from my friend who actually clean old pet stains from carpet.
How To Deodorize Your Wool Carpets And Area Rugs:
If the cleaning process does not get rid of the odor, use the following to deodorize your carpets.
- Gently beat in baking soda before going to sleep. Vacuum in the morning.
- Try bamboo ash if you can get it. Sprinkle on and beat in gently. After several hours to a day vacuum your carpet.
- If Baking soda or bamboo ash do not work after a few tries you need a commercial product. We recommend this one that cleans, sanitizes, and deodorizes all kinds of tough pet stains from your wool carpet. It’s also safe.
How To Prevent Your Dogs From Peeing On Your Carpet?
The best way to prevent dogs from peeing on your carpet is good training. Dogs want to please you, so take them for walks and praise them for using the right places as you pick up their gifts for disposal.
Don’t allow the dogs access to the carpet is they are too young to be house trained. You can also spray the carpet lightly with a commercial repellent that you cannot smell, but pets can.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Removing Pet Urine Stains And Odor from Wool Rugs:
Q1: Will baking soda neutralize dog urine on carpet?
Most of the time this is all you need. If not, spray it with vinegar as noted above.
Q2: Will hydrogen peroxide remove old pet stains from carpet?
Yes, it probably will, but it might damage your carpet, so you need to use it carefully, as noted above.
Q3: Can I use carpet cleaner for old pet stains on carpet?
Some carpet cleaners will work on this. See the list here of products I have used and trust.
Q4: What’s the best carpet cleaner for old dog urine?
A professional service is the best, but they are expensive. Check the list of cleaners I have used and trust here. They are all pretty equal.
List Of Our Recommended Carpet Stain Cleaners Those Are Safe And Effective:
Removing old dog urine stains from wool carpet is not a walk in the park. However, by following the above mentioned method, you can easily handle this worst situation. Just make sure, you apply the method properly to avoid any damage of your lovely wool rugs.