If you or someone you know is experiencing a housing crisis, dial 2-1-1 or (855) 567-5341 to get a referral to a housing program. This includes those who are currently homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.Those in immediate need of emergency shelter can find a bed to lay their head in Stroudsburg’s Wesleyan Church, the only overnight shelter in Monroe County. It’s open Monday-Friday 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., and weekends 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. Call 570-872-0126 for more information.The Salvation Army likewise has shelter opportunities in Monroe County for single men and women, and for families. Located at 226 Washington Street in East Stroudsburg, the shelter is open 24/7. Call 570-421-3050 for more information.Street2Feet Outreach Center is a homeless day center open Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon. Services range from showers and laundry to case management and more. The center is located at 130 North 1st Street in downtown Stroudsburg. Call 570-369-1299 for more information.Those experiencing homelessness or near homelessness in Pike County can find food and shelter, as well as referral to other services, through Pike County Hands of Hope. The non-profit organization is based in Milford. For more information, call 570-296-HOPE (4673) or email [email protected] Wayne County Housing Department receives annual allocations through the Emergency Solutions Grant to fund the rapid rehousing program. This program provides temporary housing for homeless individuals while the Housing Department helps get them back on their feet. For more information about the department, call 570-253-6758.Helping those southeast of Lake Wallenpaupack, Pike County Human Services similarly manages housing programs and other needs-based services for its residents. For more information, call 570-296-3434.Those at risk of losing their housing can make use of the Emergency Rental Assistance or Emergency Mortgage Assistance programs to help stay abreast of payments, utility bills and select other expenses so as not to lose their housing. Emergency Rental Assistance Programs (ERAP) can be applied for on the PA COMPASS website or by mail. For more information, contact: Monroe County: [email protected] or call 570-243-6677Pike County: [email protected] or call 570-296-3434Wayne County: [email protected] or call 570-253-2304The SHARE housing program can provide affordable housing to residents of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties by way of a deal brokered between seniors over 60 who own homes and others over the age of 18 in need of affordable housing and willing to offer some kind of assistance. Tenants have their own rooms at an affordable rate in exchange for companionship, cooking, cleaning, transportation and other helpful services.Additional housing services for residents of Wayne and Pike County are provided by the Wayne County Housing Authority. The authority manages two apartment complexes available by application for those in need of affordable housing. The authority can be reached by phone at 570-488-6069.

Similarly, the Housing Authority of Monroe County provides services to aid the elderly, disabled and those with low income in obtaining affordable housing. Those in need can apply for public housing, tax credits and learn about other helpful housing programs. The authority can be reached by phone at 570-421-7770.The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers counseling services to help homebuyers make smart decisions in regards to what they can afford. The service also aids those experiencing homelessness, those looking to make improvements or repairs to their home, and others. Nearby counseling agencies include Integra Home Counseling, Inc. in Tannersville (570-620-2438), United Neighborhood Centers of Northeast PA (570-343-8835) and NeighborWorks of Northeastern PA (570-558-2490), both in Scranton.


This article originally appeared on Tri-County Independent: Housing resources are available for northeast Pa. residents